Jackie M. Joseph
Ms. Joseph hasbeen a civil litigator handling matters in state and federal courts for over 30 years. She has experience representing a wide variety of clients in diverse practice areas, including fraud and business torts, contractual disputes, commercial real estate litigation, construction litigation, intellectual property, product liability, unfair business practice claims, and trade secrets litigation.
- Successfully defended producers of an Academy Award© winning film against claims for misappropriation of likeness, defamation, among others, including preparation of a motion to strike pursuant to California’s anti-SLAPP statute that resulted in dismissal of all claims and an award of attorneys’ fees. Successfully defended the subsequent appeal of the case to the Ninth Circuit (and ultimately to the U.S. Supreme Court, which denied certiorari).
- Won summary judgment for an international pharmaceutical company in a nationwide product liability class action.
- Challenged multiple trademark registrations on behalf of movie and entertainment icon, which resulted in the wholesale cancellation of trademark registrations that infringed upon icon’s name.
- Successfully represented large hospital system, including obtaining summary adjudication of claims, in an action involving alleged damages in excess of $20M arising from alleged fraud, breach of contract, and intentional interference with contract.
- Successfully defended developer and majority landowner in 200-acre development in a lawsuit allegingconstruction defects, conservation easement issues, and deposits allegedly owedto a Conservation Steward, including successfully moving to expunge a lis pendens on 51 lots and ultimately obtaining a dismissal of the action and the imposition of a significant attorney fee award.
Early in her career, Ms. Joseph was fortunate to have served as an Assistant County Attorney in the Trial Division of the Broward County Attorney’s Office in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where she refined her skills in the courtroom.
Ms. Joseph received her J.D. degree from USC Law School, where she was a Topic Editor for the Hale Moot Court Honors Program. During law school, she participated in the national Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition at William & Mary Law School. She received her bachelor’s degree with highest honors from Arizona State University.